Aenean Ultricies Quam
ALL LIFE IS AN EXPERIMENT.
THE MORE EXPERIMENTS YOU MAKE THE BETTER.
Escorted Tour: The Portuguese Camino. From Porto to Santiago.
A 10 night tour. September 23-October 3, 2023
A 10 night trip covering the last 100km of the Portuguese Way. Suitable for walkers and non-walkers alike.
We follow in the footsteps of Portuguese royalty, noblemen and high clerics, through nine centuries of history on a 10-night journey along one of the oldest pilgrimages in the Iberian Peninsula.
Beginning at UNESCO’s World Heritage site Porto, we visit the Sé Cathedral to learn of the history and importance of the Portuguese Way and just how the Jacobean culture influenced this route over the centuries.
We cross from Portugal to Spain, setting out from one of the true gems of military architecture, the fortress of Valença do Minho, to tread in the lush green corridor of Rías Baixas, home of the famous white grape varietal Albariño.
Our journey will follow parts of the 1st century Roman road Via XIX linking Braga, in northern Portugal to Astoria in Leon, where we will discover contrasts of rural life with natural landscapes, hot springs, forests, paths, medieval bridges, Roman milestones, crossroads, rivers and oak groves.
The camino takes us through towns with fascinating history such Tui, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis and Padrón, finishing our journey in Santiago de Compostela.
This route facilitates for those who want to walk the whole 100km but also for those who wish to walk just a small part each day and enjoy time at the beautiful hotels in the itinerary.
- Guided visit of the 12th century Sé Cathedral, Porto
- Visit the legendary parish church of Padrón with an altar of Roman origin, not far from the arrival point of the maritime transfer of the body of St. James
- Walk along some of the original Via XIX Roman road
- Immerse in the local food culture paired with wines from the region
- Dinner at Pepe Vieira's Ultramar, Pontevedra
- A tasting of wines to be found along the Portuguese Camino
- Guided tour of the city of Santiago de Compostela
- The Pilgrims’ mass at the Santiago Cathedral with the Botafumeiro
- Farewell dinner in the 15th century Parador de Santiago de Compostela
- Optional private mass in the Santa Susana Church for our pilgrims
- Receive “Compostela“ certificate for completion of last 100 kms
Price per person: 4645€ / $4995 USD / 4200 GBP
Single Room Supplement: 1115€ / 1200 USD / 1010 GBP
Deposit: 550€ / $600 USD / 495 GBP
- 1 night at the Lodge Hotel, Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto 5*
- 1 night at the Pousada de Valença, Valença do Minho 4*
- 1 night at the Parador de Baiona, Baiona 4*
- 2 nights at the Galicia Palace, Pontevedra 4*
- 1 night at the Torre do Río, Caldas del Reis 3*
-2 nights at the Pazo Le Strove, Padrón 4*
- 2 nights at the Parador Santiago de Compostela 5*
- Private transport by luxury coach
- Tour host
- Breakfast daily; 10 dinners with wine (all lunches at own expense along the way)
- Visits & activities as specified
- A 200 USD donation to the Friends of the Anglican Centre in Santiago de Compostela
- All applicable taxes
- Flights, tips and holiday insurance are not included.