Tapa Recipe: Mojeteo Extremeño
may 11, 2020
A unique, savory summer salad…
This is a typical dish from the north of Cáceres, in Extremadura, set within the Sierra de Gata, a beautiful land of orange and olive trees.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 3 peeled oranges (remove all the pith)
- 1 hard boiled egg and/or flaked cod
- 6-10 black olives
- Half of a clove of garlic (be sure to remove the garlic germ !)
- A tablespoon of finely chopped yellow onion
- “Pimentón” (Spanish paprika) to sprinkle on top
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A couple pinches of rock salt / sea salt
Finely slice the peeled oranges from top to bottom into wheels to cover the plate. This is your base.
Place the olives throughout the oranges. Feel free to arrange a few in the centre for presentation or around the edges, however you’d like to present it!
Finely chop the egg (&/or flaked cod) & sprinkle with the chopped onion & garlic over the orange base.
Liberally sprinkle paprika over the top, finish with a good jet of extra virgin olive oil.
Make sure you prepare some nice rustic bread!
Should pair well with acidic or citric wine, like a strong Rosé or Clarete
Let us know if you decide to make it & what you paired it with!